Today’s architects, contractors, and homeowners are increasingly recognizing the benefits of modern concrete home design using ICFs. Notably, the North America ICF market is predicted to grow 15.8 percent during the forecast period of 2018 to 2023.
Why Architects and Designers Choose ICF Construction
Architects and designers appreciate the strength and flexibility of ICF, which allows it to accommodate all modern concrete house designs. ICF is also easy to shape and cut into customized designs, such as custom angles, curved walls, large openings, cathedral ceilings, long ceiling spans.
Why Builders and Homeowners Select ICF Construction
Importantly, modern concrete home design using ICFs creates a house that is energy-efficient, disaster-resistant, durable, and produces good indoor environmental quality (IEQ).
Six Benefits of Using ICF for Modern Concrete Home Design
ICF construction is flexible, strong, and easy to apply. ICFs construction also creates a modern house that is energy-efficient, disaster-resistant, durable, and has good IEQ. For all these reasons modern concrete homes using ICF is quickly becoming the construction method of choice for many architects, designers, contractors, and homeowners.
1. Energy-Efficient ICF Home Design
ICF homes are more energy efficient and less drafty than either wood or steel homes, which saves money and improves comfort to the occupants. Additionally, the thermal mass of ICFs creates a tight thermal building envelope. Consequently, ICF houses require smaller-capacity equipment for the heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning than wood and steel homes; which further saves the homeowner money. Modern concrete home design using ICFs is an ideal option for creating an energy efficient home.
2. Disaster-Resistant ICF Home Design
Modern concrete house design using ICFs are disaster-resistant against severe wind, flying debris, and fire.
3. Wind-Resistant ICF Home Design
ICF wall systems, with steel reinforced concrete, contribute towards a continuous load path. ICF walls also stop penetration into the wall system of airborne debris. A continuous load path holds the roof, walls, floors, and foundation together during a dangerous wind event by moving the force from the roof, wall and other parts toward the foundation and finally into the ground. A continuous load path is vital to the continuous load path to the short-term survival of a home’s occupants after a disaster.
4. Fire-Resistant ICF Home Design
ICF walls inhibit the spread of flames during a fire event. ICF walls also do not burn, bend, or soften like steel. Concrete home design using ICFs is a superior design option for a fire resistant home.
5. Durable ICF Home Design
Concrete houses using ICFs are durable because they are not prone to termites because they lack organic material, which termites eat.
ICFs are also durable because they include a solid continuous monolithic concrete wall system with a perm rating of 1.0, which controls moisture accumulation in the wall systems. Moisture in the wall system can lead to the growth of mold, which will degrade the integrity of a home.
6. ICF Home Design Creates Good IEQ
ICF walls create good IEQ because they are moisture-resistant, which stops the growth of mold. Mold is unhealthy and can damage the integrity of a modern home.
ICFs further create healthy IEQ because they do not contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs). VOCs are harmful because they cause nose, eye, and throat irritations, headaches, nausea, and damage to the kidney, liver, and central nervous system.
Fox Blocks ICFs – An Ideal Choice for Modern Concrete Home Design
Fox Blocks provide all the benefits for a modern concrete home design.
– Fox Blocks ICFs provide flexibility in design for a modern concrete house. Fox Blocks are also fast and easy to construct, which saves money and time.
– Fox Blocks, with steel reinforced concrete, are sever-wind-resistant and can withstand winds of over 200 MPH, and projectile debris traveling over 100 MPH.
– Fox Blocks achieve a fire-resistance rating (ASTM E119) of four hours for the six-inch blocks and two hours for the four-inch blocks.
– Fox Blocks create energy-efficient commercial buildings. Fox Blocks have an R-value of 23 and exceed ASHRAE/ANSI 90.1 energy code requirements.
– Fox Blocks are durable because they have a perm rating of below 1.0, which controls moisture intrusion. Preventing moisture is vital to preventing the growth of mold, which can lead to rot and expensive repairs.
– Fox Blocks create good IEQ because they control moisture intrusion which stops the growth of unhealthy mold. In addition, Fox Blocks contain little to no VOC.
Modern concrete home design using ICFs is gaining popularity for its flexibility, strength, and ease of application. Also, ICFs construction creates a modern house that is energy-efficient, disaster-resistant, durable and has good IEQ. For more information on modern concrete home design using ICF, please visit Fox Blocks.